Tuesday, October 24, 2017

On the verge of a sheer heart attack

Ebony fell. While we were waiting for the PT to arrive, I had to call her bank and went out of the room to hear them, as she was watching TV. The buzzer rang and I got off the phone and when I came into the living room, Ebony was on her feet, unsteady without the walker, and trying to make it to the hall to buzz the PT in downstairs. grabbed her and tried to steer her around to the wheelchair but she was already going. I broke her fall as I was able to get under her but she hit head on her mother’s rolling suitcase. She winced and touched her head like she was in pain then turned on her side . I was ready to call 912 and checked her and she whispered that she was fine but I let the PT in and he said I couldn’t take any chances, so of course it helped to hear, but the whole thing happened so fast all I could do was panic. Stressed out panic, not thinking. I called 911, called her mother, who was downstairs doing laundry and after the FDNY EMTs arrived, called her best friend, whom I had only just spoken with like two hours before. I don’t want to compromise her privacy but she is NYPD and a tough cookie so I will call her Mariska. Mariska went into crisis control mode on the phone, calmed me down and then had me give the phone to the EMTs and now we are at NS LIJ . I would have tried for Weill Cornell of course but as she pointed out, rush hour and maybe Ebony is not seriously injured but this place is closer and they can always order a transport to Weill Cornell if needed. So that was really helpful. Rode in a ambulance, again, and she held my hand the whole way. I would squeeze it and she would squeeze back. So far they have admitted her and she has a room, but we are waiting for a doctor. Maybe it’s a sign that they don’t think it’s serious — and that would be great — but I don’t want to take any chances. They will have to check her for head trauma. 
She looks peaceful right now, sleeping.
I’m going to have a heart attack before the week is out.